THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, April 3, 2009

Childhood Day

"You can go back to your childhood for one day. What day and age will you choose?"

I bust though Mama Yarbourghs screen door and let it slam behind me. I then hear, "Don't let the door slam." I giggle, because I know that I will let it happen again...because I love the sound that it makes.
I run out into the yard. What a beautiful day. The sun is shining the flowers are blooming and all the family is here.
There is Papaw Yarbourgh, his mouth full of chewing tobaccky. There is cousin David chasing Christy with a snake. Papaw Griffin is sitting with the other men folk and they are just a talking. All my cousins are everywhere playing. Shawn, Josh and Jeremy are over on that tank...pretending its a train.
I run to the tree in the front yard with the thick vine that makes for a great swing. I climb on and swing. A cousin races by..."hey, I want to swing!" I jump off and go find cousin Jennifer. We decide we ARE going to eat those green apples off the the apple tree over yonder. "Don't eat those apples" warns Mama Griffin, "you will get a belly ache." We eat them anyways...but don't tell her that our belly's really do hurt.
"Time to eat" Papa Griffin says the prayer.
Food is piled up on every flat surface. Sweet Ice Tea and Root Beer to drink.
I get me a plate of Mama Yarbourghs chicken n' dumplins and one of Mama Griffins biscuits and put honey on it. I go and sit with the other cousins.
Eatin is done, time to go back and play. We decide to play baseball in Aunt Betty's field. "Batter up"
I need to pee. So Mama Griffin takes me to the back porch where the white bucket is. She has to hold on to me so my bottom doesn't fall through. "Mama, when is Papaw Yarbourgh gonna get the bathroom inside finished building?"
"Who wants ice cream?" "I do" well all yell. We all take turns to turn the ice cream bucket. Homemade, fresh vanilla goodness.
The women folk clean the kitchen and the men folk go for a walk in the fields and down by the pond. Us cousins play a game of tag.
Man its time to rest. We see those watermelons in the ice chest when we looked to see if there was anything to drink in them. Yummy! "I want watermelon" "Me too" "Hey Me too"
Mama Yarbourgh and Mama Griffin cut the watermelons...We sit under that big shade tree and eat our watermelon while the juice runs down our chin.
Its about dusk now...time to huge everyone goodbye. Well see them soon enough.
I huge my Mama and Papaw Yarbourgh. They are the best at giving hugs.
I get in the car with my Mama and brother. We all wave goodbye.

What a great day to go back to. It was nice seeing Mama and Papaw Yarbourgh and cousin David. I sure have missed them over the years.

0 comments: