THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, May 1, 2009

The Smoker, at the Last Trailer on the Right

Every Morning, when I leave for work, I stop at the stop sign. Which is beside the last trailer on my right. And every morning that woman stands there out on the concrete pad in front of her trailer. Smoking.
I've started to take notice of her each morning. I have no idea why.
The very first time I saw her, I wasn't sure if she was a she or a he. One day I decided instead of pretending I didn't see her, I looked over. She is a she. No bra.
So every morning I glance at her. Yep, same black pants, same gray t-shirt, no shoes, still no bra, and her bleach blonde hair with the really dark roots showing.
Sometime I get the urge to wave as I go past. You know the kind of wave where you just nod your head or you just lift your hand up for just a second. Sometimes I do this and sometimes not. For the life of me I cant figure out why I am disappointed when she doesn't respond.
Even though I don't give her any thought for the rest of the day. I always think of stuff while I'm sitting there at the stop sign. Does she work? Have any kids? Way isn't there ever a car there? Why does she always come out to smoke at the exact same time every morning? Why does she always have the same clothes on?
I pass through the stop sign and she fades from my mind until I see her the next morning. I will either decide to nod or wave or not, and I will continue to wait for a response.

1 comments:

Sharon said...

I like this Karen!!! Keep writing!!!